Choosing the Right Countertop for Your Kitchen

Kitchen_countertopsYou have finally had enough of your kitchen counters and are ready for a change, a jump into the present day countertops where you have more to choose from than the traditional laminates you grew up with (even those have come a long way!). We get it. There are lots of folks who come into Brunsell to look at our selections or to talk about ordering from one of our many vendors. Here is just a small look at the difference between the different kinds of countertops so you have an idea of what to choose from BEFORE you start your project.

Laminate Countertop

These are still the most popular and are very durable to the wear and tear of daily use. They are much cheaper than the popular granite and quartz, but can be made to look like those types of countertops. The core if hard particle board covered with multiple layers of plastic laminate. This is what makes them so tough: solid surface, no pores. But, they are not very heat resistant and can be easily scratched; burns, scratches or chips to laminate aren’t the easiest to repair.

Granite CountertopKitchen_countertops

This natural stone is actually very rough and textured as it started out as molten magma. Once polished and finished, it can be breathtaking. Each granite slab is unique in appearance because of the variations in the minerals. Granite countertops are resistant to heat and scratches but they are not cheap and require A LOT of care. There are issues with the stone being porous. If the granite is sealed poorly, it can help bacteria from your food products survive. Granite also isn’t indestructible; drop a heavy object on it and it could chip.

Quartz Countertop

Quartz is marked by its durability and offerings of many different colors. Unlike granite that usually has only 20 color variations, quartz can be mixed, matched and enhanced to produce almost any color you want. Something important to know about quartz: it is an engineered stone, unlike granite or marble. Quartz countertops are 93% quartz and the other 7% are color and what’s called “binder” to hold the particles of quartz together. Quartz countertops don’t need to be sealed and are non-porous meaning they are difficult to stain and bacteria can’t live inside. Be aware, though, direct sunlight will cause quartz to fade over long periods of time; because quartz countertops are so expensive, it’s good to look at how much sun hits your countertops presently.

Marble Countertop

If you are looking to turn your kitchen into a Greek or Roman Masterpiece, marble is your stone. The beauty of marble makes it very attractive. Varying in size, color and finish, marble take a little extra work when deciding what kind to place. This will be about personal preference. Every marble countertop is one of a kind because of the variations. It is also very resistant to heat. But, it is very porous and will stain if not constantly cleaned and properly sealed. It also scratches very easily.

Solid Surface Countertop

A fairly new addition to the countertop family, solid surface is a synthetic material that mimics laminate but is better quality. There are more than 100 different colors to choose from and can be made to mimic quartz or granite but are not as expensive. These countertops are solid and non-porous and are easily maintained.

countertop 3

These are only the 5 more popular kinds of countertops. There are many others including butcherblock, tile, reclaimed wood and lava! It’s not an easy decision to make, but we can certainly help and can help you install your new countertop as well! Check out what we carry then come in and talk with us about your new kitchen!